Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Lost In The Middle of The Desert


This weekend we camped out in Borrego Springs at Blair Valley campground. For those of you not familiar with the names, we camped out in the low desert of California. Everything started off great . . . sunny skies, family, and margaritas. It was the perfect day.

Brenda tells me she wants to go on a hike and maybe leave the girls with the boys so we aren’t slowed down. After talking it over and figuring how much time we might have later for a kiddie hike we decided to take Nadia and Emily with us anyway. I asked Pete to join us because my backpack was going to be really heavy and I wanted some help. He suggested I leave Nadia there with him and he would take her exploring. I decided against that because I wanted Nadia to experience “Real Desert Hiking.” My backpack was so heavy because I have been watching Man vs. Wild and I wasn’t about to risk getting lost in the desert without some essential survival items. I made sure I packed a compass, a whistle with thermometer, flashlight with extra batteries, Beyer aspirin, a first aid kit with Neosporin, ace bandage wraps, hand sanitizer, baby wipes, a knife, a flint, a lighter, rope, 45 sunscreen, and extra food and water. If we did get lost we were set but what are the chances of that?

We drive over to the trailheads in Jason’s truck. The hiking party included Brenda, Barb, Phil, Emily, Nadia, and myself. Our mission . . . “To find the Mortreros.” We hiked about a ¼ mile in and Emily got bit by a cactus Cholo. She had needles in her foot and shoe. She was crying pretty badly but Brenda and Phil fixed her all up. It was at this time while Emily was screaming that Barb decided we should go back. “The trail ends here anyway, there is no more dirt path.” With that she turned around and headed back for the truck. We forged on, wounded and all, over the boulders and rocks until we did see a dirt trail. Phil followed us in about a ½ mile and decided to go back and check on Barb.

Nadia led us most of the way climbing up and over huge rocks. She loves rock climbing and she’s darned good at it too even at two years old. I was so glad I brought her along for the experience. We reached a valley and some rather large boulders and decided to turn around. The sun was starting to get low in the wind was beginning to pick up. It probably dropped about 10 degrees since we started. I guess I could have checked my thermometer but we weren’t lost so why would I need that thing anyway?

I decided to put Nadia in the backpack for our trek back to the truck. This made my backpack weigh close to 50 or 60lbs. On our way back we ran into Phil who was sent back to check on us by Barb. We headed up the trail into the rock village that marked the beginning of the trail. It should only be a short hike back to the truck from this point. We began walking around trying to follow a defined path but there didn’t seem to be one. Every perceived path would run you straight into a cactus or a yucca plant.


We tried several directions but were unsuccessful in locating the truck that should have been so close. Soon we were in a field of yucca plants witch didn’t look at all familiar. There were mountains all around us and I had a hunch that just behind the mountain on the right we would find the truck below. Phil, being the Sherpa he is, trudged up to the top only to find more desert. No sign of life anywhere!

This is right about the time my brain went into panic mode. I start looking over at my niece Emily who has no jacket on and think “what is going on, what are we doing? Why didn’t I leave my poor little girl at the campsite safe and sound with her Daddy. What kind of a mother am I bringing her into such danger? How selfish! WTF Mate!”

Just then we see a campsite ahead and my thoughts shift first to joy and then to fear. “What about the countless ghost stories I’ve heard on camping trips or the numerous horror films I’ve subjected myself to over the years. What if this was going to be similar to the “Texas Chainsaw Massacre” story? What if we go to them for help and they invite us into their trailer where the skin us alive, prop us up on poles, and roast us like pigs. Who would ever know? No way! We were going back into the desert and finding shelter in a Coyote cave for the night. My backpack would come in handy after all.”

“Okay, focus here, I do have cell phone reception so I should be able to just call Pete and tell him to come and save us.” Just then my phone rings, “It’s my Mother!” Of all people to have call you when you are about to become a vultures feast in the middle of the desert! “Uh yeah?” I couldn’t hide my fear, “we’re kinda lost in the desert right now we can’t seem to find the truck.” I filled her in on some more details and told her I would call her back in an hour to let her know on our status.

CLICK, I hang up the phone and I hear, “Phil” in the distance. I look up and see Barb through the brush. Was this a mirage? I’m thinking, “Wow, I’ve heard of people going crazy in the desert but I didn’t think it would happen this quick.” “Wait a minute, it is Barb!” Hooray! Thank GOD for those fluorescent pink pants and neon blue jacket! I guess when it comes to survival you don’t need much, just wear bright cloths! Thanks for saving us Barb!


We actually did have a great camping trip, if you'd like to see more pictures from our wild desert adventure please click on this link.

1 comment:

Mamarazzi said...

Too hilarious!! You're so crazy woman.