Sunday, May 13, 2007

Dear Mom,


When I was young I thought to myself, “I could do it better!” I thought I would be a better mom. I would never yell, scold, or punish. I would never say “NO!” I would let my kids stay out as late as they wanted and hang out in cars with older kids. I would let my kids make their own plans and eat whatever they wanted even if it made them sick. I remember thinking I was gonna be a “cool mom” and be my kids “best friend.” I thought I knew it all. I had it all figured out. One thing was for certain, I was NEVER going to turn into my mother!

That was until, of course, I had a child of my own . . .

That’s when it all came together. Nothing meant more to me in this world than making sure my daughter was healthy and safe at all times. Everything I do now, all my decisions, all my plans are made with her best interest in mind. When I say “NO” it is for her benefit, for her safety, or for her future health. Any time she may think I’m mean or horrible for making a decision for her it is always done out of love.

Now I realize how difficult it is to be a mom and a friend. But luckily I had the best teacher! The greatest gift my mom gave me was life and love and the ability to pass it on to my children. My wish for my daughter is to have a child of her own one day, when she is much much older of course. I think being a grandmother is probably the greatest trophy of all. Once your child lives what you lived and truly understands all the sacrifices you made for the love of a child then you are truly rich.

I must admit I realized none of this until I had a child of my own. Now I am so very proud to say, “Yes, I am turning into my mother!” Honestly, there is probably no better compliment in the world. So to all you grandmothers, mothers, and children out there, especially mine, I hope you all turn out to be just like your mom! Because a mother is LOVE in it’s purist form.

Happy Mother's Day!






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great tribute to moms all over the world!
Is there anyway you could fit all of that on a card?
Thanks for putting it into words! Here's to you Peggy & Jenn and all the mom's out there who sacrifice a piece of themselves for their children. Great pics also!

Jenni D said...

Can whoever wrote this please sign their name or send me a private e-mail letting me know who wrote this? It is very nice and I'd like to tank you!

Jenn

ReyLynda said...

Wow what *beautiful* pictures! Your mom must be so proud that she raised a daughter who could be a great mom to another daughter!